Effective August 6, 2012
- Send your written request to the Putnam County Sheriff’s Department, Three County Center, Carmel, N.Y. 10512, Attention: Pistol Permits. Your letter must be signed and dated and must include your address and phone number. You must submit the following paperwork with your letter:
- Copy of your pistol permit (front and back).
- Proof of live fire instruction. Must be within six months of your request for an upgrade. The certificate must indicate live fire and the date of instruction. (Please note: The Putnam County Sheriff’s Department does not offer live fire instruction and does not make referrals.)
- Proof of ownership of a safe. The safe must be bolted to the floor or a wall and must have a combination lock or padlock. Send a copy of the bill of sale for the safe and a picture of the ‘secured’ safe. You must also include a detailed description of the safe’s location in the residence (i. e., the safe is bolted to the floor of the closet in the master bedroom; the safe is bolted to the wall in my home office). The safe may be subject to inspection by the Sheriff’s Department.
- Requests that are complete will be forwarded to the court and the court will advise you in writing of the day and time of your pistol permit hearing.
- Requests that are incomplete will be returned.