Sheriff Donald B. Smith says, “one of our greatest responsibilities in serving the people of Putnam is to ensure the security and safety of every citizen. One of the most vulnerable segments of our county’s population is our seniors. We must exhaust all means to protect our senior citizens from crime. We therefore offer the following crime prevention suggestions:”
- Go with friends and family, not alone.
- Carry your purse close to your body, not dangling by the straps. Put a wallet in an inside coat pocket or front pants pocket.
- Don’t carry credit cards you don’t need or large amounts of cash.
- Whether you’re a passenger or driver, keep car door locked. Be particularly alert in parking lots and garages. Park near the entrance.
- Sit close to the driver or near the exit while riding the bus, train, or subway.
- If someone or something makes you uneasy, trust your instincts and leave.
- Install good locks on doors and windows. Don’t hide keys in mailboxes or under doormats. Instead, leave an extra set of keys with a neighbor or relative you can trust.
- Ask for photo identification from service or delivery people before letting them in your home. Call the company to verify them if you are still in doubt.
- Be sure your street address number is large, clear from obstruction and well lighted so that emergency personnel can find your home quickly.
- Consider a home alarm system that provides monitoring for police, fire and medical emergencies.
Watch For Cons
- Don’t fall for anything that sounds too good to be true.
- Never give your credit card, phone card, Social Security or bank account numbers to anyone over the telephone.
- Don’t let anyone rush you into signing anything. Read everything carefully and have someone you trust check it over.
- If you are suspicious of someone, or before you hire a contractor, check them out with the Putnam County Consumer Affairs Department at (845) 225-2039.
- Join a Neighborhood Watch Program to look out for each other and help law enforcement protect your community.
- If you see something suspicious, call the Putnam County Sheriff’s Office at (845) 225-4300 or your local police and report it.
- Carmel Police Department (845) 628-1300
- Kent Police Department (845) 225-4600
- Cold Spring Police Dept. (845) 265-9111
- State Police (845) 279-6161
- Call 9-1-1 to report any emergency