Before the holiday weekend, Putnam County Sheriff Robert L. Langley Jr. would like to remind Putnam County Boaters of some requirements that would keep their day safe and fun.
Each motorized boat needs to have:
- One Personal Floatation Device (PFD - Life Jacket), USCG approved & appropriate size for each person on board.
- One Type 4 throw able device (USCG Approved)
- Sounding device (horn or whistle)
- Anchor with line
- A Fire Extinguisher (mounted & USCG approved)
- Visual Distress Signal (3 day/night flares)
- Navigation and Stern Light during low visibility or night
As always, a life jacket only works if it is worn. Consuming alcohol while operating a boat in dangerous and against the law. Periodic checks will be conducted on the Hudson River, Oscawana Lake, and Lake Mahopac.
For a complimentary vessel safety inspection by one of our trained Marine Law Enforcement Deputies please contact Sergeant Michael Szabo 845-225-4300.