–MOTHER’S GARBLED TEXTS TO DAUGHTER PROMPTED FRIEND’S CHECK & DISCOVERY OF UNCONCIOUS VICTIMS
–WOMEN CARRIED TO SAFETY BY RESCUERS–
Town of Carmel Police Chief Michael Cazzari, Carmel Volunteer Fire Department Chief David DiRienzo and Putnam County Sheriff Donald B. Smith report that two women were rescued on Monday, November 13th, after they were rendered unconscious by carbon monoxide poisoning in their Carmel home. The victims, women aged 61 and 89, survived after rescuers carried them out of the house.
At around noon on November 13th, the 61-year-old woman sent text messages to her daughter, who was out of the area. As those messages became incoherent, the daughter became concerned and tried to telephone her mother. When her mother did not answer the phone, the daughter called a friend and asked her to check on the welfare of her mother and grandmother at the house, a single family residence on North Gate Road in Carmel.
The friend went to the house, where she heard the sound of a carbon monoxide alarm going off inside and could see the 89-year-old grandmother lying unconscious on the floor in a bedroom near the front door. The friend called 911 and reported the situation.
Within a few minutes, Carmel Police Department Officer James Terrazas, Carmel Fire Department Firefighter Joseph Fernandez and Sheriff’s Deputy Andrew Kristan arrived at the scene. Officer Terrazas and Firefighter Fernandez went into the house and pulled the grandmother from the front bedroom to the front door, as Deputy Kristan searched the house for more victims. The deputy found the 61-year-old woman unconscious in a back bedroom, and he and Officer Terrazas carried her out of the house.